A man has been arrested after driving on the wrong side of a highway at a high rate of speed.
At around 4:00 AM on Sunday, April 7, 2019, Onslow County Sheriff’s Office Uniformed Patrol responded to the area of Piney Green Road and Freedom Highway for a report that a vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed on the wrong side of the road.
Deputy M. Dixon witnessed the vehicle in the area of Northeast Creek Bridge driving eastbound in the westbound lanes. His speed was estimated to be in excess of 80mph.
At one point, the driver slowed down and attempted to strike the deputy’s vehicle with his own. Deputy Dixon attempted to conduct a traffic stop, but the driver refused to stop, increasing his speed. Several deputies joined in the pursuit, where the driver entered Swansboro at an estimated speed of 100mph, still driving on the wrong side of the highway.
Swansboro Police joined the pursuit as it entered Swansboro. The chase continued into Carteret County, where Carteret County Sheriff’s Office engaged in the pursuit and Onslow County Deputies terminated their participation.
Carteret County Sheriff Deputies deployed stop sticks in the Morehead City area, where the suspect was eventually stopped. The driver, Trevor Tyrode Wallace, was arrested and transported back to Onslow County.
Wallace, 20-years-old of Edgefield Drive in Summerville, NC was arrested and charged with:
- (2) Counts Assault With a Deadly Weapon on a Government Official – Felony
- (3) Counts Flee to Elude Arrest with a Motor Vehicle- Felony
- (1) Count Assault With a Deadly Weapon – Felony
- (2) Counts Reckless Driving Wanton Disregard for Public Safety – Misdemeanor
- (1) Count Reckless Driving to Endanger – Misdemeanor
- (1) Count Aggressive Driving – Misdemeanor
- (3) Counts Speeding/Exceeding Safe Speed – Misdemeanor
- (1) Count Driving Wrong Way on Interstate – Misdemeanor
- (1) Count Fail to Heed Light or Siren – Misdemeanor
Wallace is in the Onslow County Detention Center under an $80,500 secured bond on both Onslow and Carteret County charges until his first court appearance April 10, 2019.
Anyone with information about this incident may contact Onslow County Sheriff’s Office at 910-455-3113 or Crime Stoppers at 910-938-3273. Please refer to case 2019005137 when calling.
Crime Stoppers offers cash reward of up to $2,500 for information that is deemed of value or assistance to law enforcement. Information can also be anonymously texted via Text-A-Tip by typing TIP4CSJAX and your message to 274637 (CRIMES). Callers to Crime Stoppers may remain anonymous and never have to reveal their identity.