Onslow County Sheriffs Office issued a press release this morning warning citizens to be aware of an increase in reports of telephone scams.
During the last week of April 2019, the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office has again received reports about a telephone SCAM that some Onslow County citizens have received. Sheriff Miller and his staff want to ensure that all citizens know about these SCAMs & ask citizens to “pass the word” to others. Be aware.
The incoming call could come from a different area code or even a local number that citizens don’t recognize. Many times, that number is “spoofed” and not in service. Sometimes, the incoming caller has a foreign accent, but not always. The caller may allege that the answering party owes the government a certain amount of money and that an arrest warrant will be issued unless the answering person pays that amount. Then, the caller will “offer” to collect the money by a telephonic credit card transaction and give a different telephone number for the answering party to call back.
(Previous SCAMs have asked the answering party to purchase a gift card from a local vendor and pass the card number to the caller.)
Our national, state or local governments do NOT collect back taxes by calling citizens and asking for credit card numbers or gift cards by phone. If taxes are properly owed, notifications will be made by United States Mail.
Other SCAMS for citizens to be aware of:
- A “Jury SCAM.” A false allegation that a citizen did not report for jury duty. (Call the court house jury coordinator directly for verification).
- A relative in police custody needing bail money, or in a medical facility needing money. (Known as a “Sympathy SCAM”).
- A “Sweepstakes or Contest or Lottery Win” SCAM. Asking for a “handling fee.” Fraud.
- A “Data Mining SCAM” where an unknown or unverified party asks for personal or bank account information. “Phishing.”
- A “Debt Consolidation Loan” offer that’s too good to be true. No free money.
Please protect yourself, your family, your property and even your friends & neighbors. Please be careful to VERIFY before you trust
NO GOVERNMENT AGENCY WILL ASK ANYONE TO PAY BY TELEPHONE USING A GIFT CARD OR PREPAID DEBIT CARD!
Crime Stoppers offers cash reward of up to $2,500 for information that is deemed of value or assistance to law enforcement. Information can also be anonymously texted via Text-A-Tip by typing TIP4CSJAX and your message to 274637 (CRIMES). Callers to Crime Stoppers may remain anonymous and never have to reveal their identity.